Design Update: The Farm Table




Farm Tables. They are currently all the rave.  Everywhere you look you find reclaimed wood and furniture made out of it. As I sit here thinking about that - I find myself wondering what it is about the Farm Table that we find so fascinating? Why does the look and feel of it pull us in?

There is something about a rustic, sturdy, soft, old piece of wood that inspires me. There is history there. It has been cut down, beaten, nailed, eaten on, rained on, sat on, you name it, and yet with every dent or ding, it only builds more character and becomes more appealing. It is tangible evidence that our life experiences, good and bad, make us who we are and even, dare I say, better versions of who we are.

I remember when I was little our dinner table was made of old wood.  I am not sure if you could call it a farm table, but it was wooden none the less. I can remember the sounds it made when we moved about eating this or that. I remember the distinct smell it had.  I also remember my brother and I carving things into it. It moved with us everywhere we went, which was at least 5 times.  Yet it has survived. It carries with it memories of what used to be, of where we came from.  

There is something about an old piece of furniture, especially made of quality wood, which lasts forever.  It sticks with us and reflects our lives - every dent is a remnant of a move we made, every creek reminding us of what it has been through with us. The farm table is a place where you gather your family for those special occasions, regular weekday meals, discussions of each others day, silence, arguments, laughter.  It all happens there.

I am working on purchasing an old farm table that I found at the salvage yard.   I am hoping to have it this weekend if all goes as planned. Stay tuned for more updates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment