Style in a box?

One of the things I love to do when I get some down time (read: when I get bored) is research.  I google all sorts of different things to get inspiration to create. A few times I have tried to figure out what my style is.  I have taken quizzes, looked up definitions of different styles, but have never been able to chose one. Today I began on the same usual journey to figure out what my style was, but something stopped me in the middle of it.

As I sat there pondering, it occurred to me that style can mean so many things.  This can be witnessed in Wikipedia's article on style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style.  In the article, Wikipedia says the following:

Style may refer to:
There are also many different definitions for what Style is. My favorite definition from Webster is this one:  

Style: a : a distinctive manner of expression (as in writing or speech) 

I like this one because what I really deal with is art, and art is expression at it's finest.  We express ourselves through our style.  Our style is formed by our taste, our experiences, and our dreams. I would go as far as to say that style is our outward expression of who we really are.  

So as I sat here trying to figure out what my own style was (I even tried to google it), I decided that I do not have to be put into a box.  In a time when we have everything at our fingertips, when we can see the rest of the world through this window we call the internet, how is it possible to define your style with one word? 

I made a list of words that describe my style. I have to tell you though that it is not complete. 

- old
- vintage
- worn with love
- warm
- romantic
- bright
- clean
- simple
- creative
- unique
- genuine
- real
- quality
- crisp 

I could probably go on and on but I won't.  Because we never stop becoming who we are on the inside, and because our style is an outward expression of who we are, my style will morph, develop, and maybe even change over time.  For when we stop defining our style, we stop growing.  

I say all of this to give you an idea of the kinds of things you will see on this site.  Because my taste can go anywhere from modern to antique, you may see a variety of creations here.  Don't let that confuse you: it is just an outward expression of who I am becoming on the inside. 

So, who are you, and what is your style? 

                    

0 comments:

Post a Comment